Development Engineer / Materials Scientist – Avon, CT
OFS has one of the longest and most respectable corporate lineages in American business, which goes back to Alexander Graham Bell and the invention of the telephone more than a century ago. We have a proven track record of being first in the industry with application specific fibers, optical connectors, ribbon cables, erbium doped fibers, Raman fiber lasers, fiber gratings and more. Our mission is to provide leading optical innovations and solutions by designing, manufacturing and supplying the best optical fibers, fiber cable and components and devices for our customers, with exceptional service that creates value for our shareholders, customers and employees. To do so, we must continue shaping the future of communications by applying the best minds to the challenges our customers will continually face.
About the Job
We currently seek a Development Engineer / Materials Scientist to join our division located in Avon, CT, and help support our continued business growth.
The selected candidate’s responsibility is to focus on development of new coatings and manufacturing processes for specialty optical fibers for harsh environments, under the guidance of a senior scientist. The incumbent will define and carry out projects in materials research to enable coatings development and support fiber production.
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- New Product and Technology Platform Development
- Plan and lead research and development of new coatings and manufacturing process for specialty optical fibers, including metal and ceramic coatings
- Lead and contribute to the projects of transferring new processes to SPD Avon from OFS Labs or other locations.
- Contribute to the projects designed to build technology platform for harsh environment packaging
- Participate in the development and engineering projects where coating materials are critical. Document R&D results via both internal and external technical reports, project binders, and, where appropriate, via patent filing.
- Develop theory and models to explain complex processes related to SPD products (manufacturing, testing, and performance processes).
- Conduct research on the materials and processes that are being used to improve existing products, processes, and characterization methods, especially related to coatings and polymer-based components
- Maintain and improve the polymer/materials characterization lab, including FTIR, TGA, DSC, TMA, DMA and related equipment
- Calibrate equipment, maintain calibration records and signs
- Develop new and update existing ISO procedures for fiber and coating testing
- Support Fiber, Cable, Assembly and Quality divisions of OFS-Avon with testing, material identification and troubleshooting
- Provide technical support for other groups within OFS and FEC
- Manage safe daily operations of the lab equipment
- Work closely with colleagues, assist in their R&D projects
Perform other related duties as required by management.
Key qualifications include:
- B.S or M.S. in Materials Science or similar technical field and 2+ years’ experience in related research and development/manufacturing environment.
- In depth knowledge and experience in ceramic, polymer, metal, and other potential coating materials and their processing.
- Experience with coating application techniques and manufacturing processes
- Hand-on experience in polymer characterization techniques (FTIR, TGA, DSC, TMA, DMA)
- Knowledge of optical waveguide basics
- Excellent organizational skills and leadership skills.
- Project management skills.
- Good people skills and communications
- Excellent written, verbal, presentation and communication skills.
- Lean manufacturing, Six-Sigma, and 5S experience preferred.
Working at OFS means having the opportunity to realize ideas, experience innovation and discover new solutions for the future. In addition to our dynamic work environment, we offer competitive salaries and generous benefits programs, including medical, dental, tuition reimbursement and a matching 401(k) plan.
If you’d like to be part of an energetic, world leader in optic fiber solutions, please submit your resume (including salary information) by clicking on the button below to begin the self-identification process.
Note: Only those candidates selected for the interview process will be contacted.
OFS Fitel, LLC, a Georgia based global company, is an Equal Opportunity
Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status
or status as an individual with a disability.