Mechanical Design Engineer – Avon, CT
OFS has one of the longest and most respectable corporate lineages in American business, which goes back to Alexander Graham Bell and the invention of the telephone more than a century ago. We have a proven track record of being first in the industry with application specific fibers, optical connectors, ribbon cables, erbium doped fibers, Raman fiber lasers, fiber gratings and more. Our mission is to provide leading optical innovations and solutions by designing, manufacturing and supplying the best optical fibers, fiber cable and components and devices for our customers, with exceptional service that creates value for our shareholders, customers and employees. To do so, we must continue shaping the future of communications by applying the best minds to the challenges our customers will continually face.
We currently seek a Mechanical Design Engineer to join our division located in Avon, CT, and help support our continued business growth.
The selected candidate, under the guidance of a Senior Engineer, the incumbent will design and develop new production equipment for our Fiber Draw and Cabling operations.
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Based on internal customer specifications, design and develop machine equipment for the manufacture of glass optical fiber and cable in project team environment as individual contributor or leader
- Work closely with Maintenance team and production to support on equipment maintenance and troubleshooting
- Support equipment and process modification and upgrading
- Develop and maintain detail drawings, BOM’s and manuals
- Creation of machine user manuals, set-up and maintenance procedures
Key qualifications include:
- Bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering or Technology
- Knowledge of engineering principles, i.e. stress, deflection and motor size requirement calculations
- Working knowledge of machine components; bearings, couplings, gears, actuators, motors, chains, spindles, springs, ball screws, pneumatics, welding/sheet metal fabrication & machining processes
- Experience with inspection and metrology
- Mechanical detailing/checking and specifying tolerances
- 3D Solid Modeling (SolidWorks preferred)
- Excellent problem solving ability
- Project Management
- Constructive working relationships with diverse groups and individuals
- Ability to develop creative solutions
- Self-driven for excellence
- Strong sense to recognize achievable equipment optimization and improvement
- Must be able to make engineering assembly and detail drawings (SolidWorks preferred)
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
Working at OFS means having the opportunity to realize ideas, experience innovation and discover new solutions for the future. In addition to our dynamic work environment, we offer competitive salaries and generous benefits programs, including medical, dental, tuition reimbursement and a matching 401(k) plan.
If you’d like to be part of an energetic, world leader in optic fiber solutions, please submit your resume (including salary information) by clicking on the button below to begin the self-identification process
Note: Only those candidates selected for the interview process will be contacted.
OFS Fitel, LLC, a Georgia based global company, is an Equal Opportunity
Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status
or status as an individual with a disability.