Lean-Quality Engineer – Avon, CT
OFS has one of the longest and most respectable corporate lineages in American business, which goes back to Alexander Graham Bell and the invention of the telephone more than a century ago. We have a proven track record of being first in the industry with application specific fibers, optical connectors, ribbon cables, erbium doped fibers, Raman fiber lasers, fiber gratings and more. Our mission is to provide leading optical innovations and solutions by designing, manufacturing and supplying the best optical fibers, fiber cable and components and devices for our customers, with exceptional service that creates value for our shareholders, customers and employees. To do so, we must continue shaping the future of communications by applying the best minds to the challenges our customers will continually face.
We currently seek a Lean-Quality Engineer to join our division located in Avon, CT, and help support our continued business growth.
This position will provide the primary Lean facilitation and training for the site. It will manage the customer complaint process from a product Quality perspective, and also be responsible for corrective and preventative actions, and their closure.
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Position focus includes 50% of time spent on Lean activities and 50% of time spent on customer complaints/Corrective and Preventive Action
- Manages customer complaints from receipt through closure, including coordinating technical investigation. Involves technical resources as necessary to analyze product. Implement “product hospital” concept. Tests returned products as needed. Creates final report of findings for customers.
- Applies various Quality tools and performs Root Cause Analysis to solve problems (8D, Pareto, 5 Why’s, Fishbone, etc.)
- Leads resolution on Corrective and Preventive actions for internal and external Quality issues
- Implements and drives Lean tools and techniques in alignment with managements Lean strategy
- Facilitates Kaizen events and other Small Group Activities (SGA)
- Train employees on Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and Lean Manufacturing
- Participate with other OFS sites on promoting and implementing Lean throughout OFS
- Perform other related duties as required by management
Key qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a technical discipline
- Five or more years Engineering experience
- Experience in Fiber Optic/High Tech manufacturing or medical device industry preferred
- Self-motivated, independent worker
- Excellent problem solving ability
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to write a formal letter with proper grammar and excellent spelling
- Excellent time-management and organizational ability
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to influence others
- Presentation and training/facilitation skills and experience
- Knowledge of Quality principles, systems, and ISO certification
- Working knowledge of statistical quality control methodologies, including SPC, 6 Sigma, design of experiments, lot acceptance, sampling plans and gage R&R
- Ability to lead and manage cross-functional teams
- Not averse to working in a hands-on, industrial setting
- Mechanical aptitude; ability to understand machinery and decipher blueprints
- ASQ member with certifications (CQA, CQE or CQM) preferred
Working at OFS means having the opportunity to realize ideas, experience innovation and discover new solutions for the future. In addition to our dynamic work environment, we offer competitive salaries and generous benefits programs, including medical, dental, tuition reimbursement and a matching 401(k) plan.
Qualified candidates should submit a resume by clicking on the button below to begin the self-identification process. Submissions must include salary information.
Note: Only those candidates selected for the interview process will be contacted.
OFS Fitel, LLC, a Georgia based global company, is an Equal Opportunity Employer.