OFS operates OFS Laboratories, a global center of excellence
that combines the rich heritage of Bell Labs (winner of eleven
Nobel awards) with the experience of Furukawa research.
OFS Laboratories is a world-class center of excellence for optical
innovations. We are a trendsetter in discovering better ways to
bring optical technologies to communications, medicine, aviation,
transportation, geophysics, in communities, between cities, across
oceans, continents, and through "the last mile" to businesses and
OFS Laboratories creates commercially viable technology
breakthroughs that OFS can take to market quickly. In keeping with
our Bell Labs heritage, we continue to build on a core competency
in the areas of optical fiber design, fabrication and optical
device physics. We maintain leadership through continued
publications and visibility.
We have three divisions working synergistically as one team
focused on defining the course of optical communications:
The three divisions work collaboratively as a total "brain trust,"
identifying resources and combining assets on projects of mutual
interest. OFS Laboratories collaborates not only internally but
also with the development groups that support manufacturing at
each OFS location, with various universities, technical
institutions, and industry organizations, and with Furukawa, the
parent company of OFS.
- Optical Fiber Research: Focuses on the design, fabrication, and application of optical fibers.
- Photonics Devices Research: Focuses on invention, design, integration, fabrication and assembly of optical devices and components.
- Systems Research: Focuses on assessing the transmission capability of OFS' fiber designs and understanding next-generation fiber requirements for both long haul and metro applications.
Scientists with OFS Laboratories have been responsible for many
innovative fiber optic technology inventions that are now
ubiquitous in the industry. Examples include nonzero dispersion
fiber, submarine optical fiber and polarization maintaining fiber.
OFS Laboratories has a long track record of turning science into
practical, real world solutions. In our latest research, we're
focusing on these areas:
Every year OFS Laboratories present numerous papers at the most
important industry's technical conferences and seminars, which
discuss the most recent advances in fiberoptics. Please check
Knowledge Base for the latest updates.
- Optical fiber design and fabrication
- Optical fiber manufacturing techniques
- Fiber gratings
- Fiber lasers and amplifiers
- Raman amplification
- Nonlinear fiber optics
- Air-silica microstructure fiber
- Signal conditioning
- Optical monitoring
- Theoretical modeling
- Optical simulation