Department: Human Resources
Reports to: General Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
OFS Fitel, LLC, a global manufacturer of fiber optics cable and apparatus, is seeking an EH&S Manager for its Cable Division located in Carrollton, Georgia, approximately 50 miles west of Atlanta.
The basic purpose and function of this position is to eliminate or control hazardous conditions resulting from human error, equipment and machine operations that may lead to human injury and/or property damage and an environmental responsible workplace, which complies with EPA, OSHA regulations, corporate, and company policies. This role must apply advanced mathematical techniques; professional engineering principles, methods and techniques; safety-related elements of the physical sciences, ergonomics, psychology and physiology; and safety principles, standards, practices and analytical techniques to implement programs which monitor, track and continue to improve environmental, health and safety.
- Strategic planning, directing, and promoting Environmental, Health and Safety Programs so as to provide a safe and environmentally friendly workplace, comply with EPA and OSHA regulations, and protect the company against losses
- Develop, update and implement the written Environmental, Health and Safety procedures. Also develop policies and procedures for new processes
- Identification, analysis and control of occupational hazards requiring the application of professional engineering knowledge, skill and abilities
- Apply knowledge of psychological and physiological factors to assist in the design of safety features and controls, compensating for the possibility of human errors in the operation of machinery and equipment
- As the Emergency Coordinator, prepare for major problems such as natural disasters, fires, and chemical spills
- Provide Environmental, Health and Safety Technical support and training to all departments
- Assist HR with overseeing Workers Compensation cases to minimize compensation expenses, and to ensure compliance with State Workers Compensation Laws
- Be the Chairperson of the Environmental, Health and Safety meetings and follow-up on action items
- Coordinate projects and act as a liaison with government agencies and Corporate Environmental, Health and Safety associates
- Maintain frequent interaction with management, employees, corporate EHS staff, and representatives of Federal and State agencies
- Analyze accident data and recommend proactive solutions to reduce the frequency and severity of accidents
- Monitors environmental conditions through routine inspections or surveys.
- Confers with management to review achievements and discuss required changes in goals or objectives resulting from current status and conditions
- Managing information flow between department managers and supervisors
- Maintain employee safety and morale by creating safe working and efficient working environment
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Health, Industrial Hygiene, Industrial Safety, Biology, Chemistry or Engineering
- 5 – 7 year’s previous experience at the management
- 3 – 5 years’ experience in manufacturing environment.
- Proven skill and demonstrated application of EH&S Programs
- High level leadership and decision making skills
- Skills and knowledge to successfully develop, update and administer EH&S Programs
- Able to motivate, influence, and train/develop people
- Critical thinking skills
- Experience as an Emergency Coordinator who can head the Emergency Response Team and bring experience in areas such as medical emergencies, firefighting, chemical spills, confined space entry & rescue, severe weather preparedness
- Experience and knowledge to provide EH&S technical support and conduct or coordinate training for all departments
- Experience and knowledge in the management of Worker’s Compensation.
- Experience and the ability to conduct Environmental and Safety classes and manage E&S meetings with the ability to follow-up
- Knowledge in the completion of projects and reports for government agencies.
- Able to interact with all professionals
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficiency in computer skills: Microsoft Office Applications
- Excellent Time management and setting priorities skills
- Master’s Degree or MBA
- CIH or CSP certification
- Six Sigma (Black Belt or Green Belt) a plus
- Safety Culture
- Effective Communication
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Strategic Thinking
Decision Making Requirements
The Environmental Health & Safety Manager must make decisions on which projects, reports and regulations apply to the company and how to comply in a timely manner. Reviews and updates policies and decides how to implement the updates in different areas. Recommends how to prepare for and handle emergencies. Must make recommendations on how projects can be handled, that take into consideration EH&S, Manufacturing and Employee Relations issues. The EH&S Manager works with other groups (internal and external) to eliminate problems, provide training, and decide if an accident, illness or injury is a Worker’s Compensation Case.
The EH&S Manager must address topic that are of major concern to the company and recommend corrective action based on experience and evaluation of the current or ongoing situations.
Direction Given or Received
The EH&S Manager gives Environmental, Health and Safety direction and advice to all levels of OFS Carrollton employees.
The EH&S Manager receives Worker’s Compensation and Safety direction from the Plant General Manager and, as an active business partner with the Human Resource Manager and the Plant Leadership Team regarding all safety related issues. The EH&S Manager also receives and shares information with the Corporate Environmental and Safety Organization concerning the development and implementation of programs and policies.
Working at OFS means having the opportunity to realize ideas, experience innovation and discover new solutions for the future. In addition to our dynamic work environment, OFS offers a competitive salary and benefits program including medical, dental, vision and a matching 401(k) plan.
All interested candidates, who possess the skills and experience to be successful in this position, can submit your resume (must include salary history) by clicking on the button below to begin the self-identification process.
Relocation assistance “is not” offered with this position.
Note: Only those candidates selected for the interview process will be contacted.
OFS Fitel, LLC, a Georgia based global company, is an Equal Opportunity Employer.