OFS Fitel, LLC, a global manufacturer of fiber optics cable and apparatus, is seeking an Maintenance and Facilities Manager for its Cable Division located in Carrollton, Georgia, approximately 50 miles west of Atlanta.
OFS has one of the longest and most respectable corporate lineages in American business, which goes back to Alexander Graham Bell and the invention of the telephone more than a century ago. Our mission is to provide leading optical innovations and solutions by designing, manufacturing and supplying the best optical fibers, fiber cable and components and devices for our customers, with exceptional service that creates value for our shareholders, customers and employees. To do so, we must continue shaping the future of communications by applying the best minds to the challenges our customers will continually face.
This position provides the leadership and vision to develop a world-class manufacturing environment that is safe, efficient and focused on continuous improvement initiatives. Duties include: driving improvements to meet/exceed expectations in the areas of safety, machine efficiency, machine run time, preventative maintenance, cost objectives, and employee development and retention in alignment with company and business unit established procedures and objectives.
The purpose and function of the Maintenance & Facilities Manager position is to direct and lead the activities of the maintenance department. The maintenance department is directly responsible for both preventive and breakdown maintenance of manufacturing machinery, associated subsystem equipment, and facilities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct and manage plant maintenance operations in support of manufacturing operations
- Coordinate maintenance activities through planning with departmental managers to ensure the total manufacturing objectives are accomplished in a timely and cost-effective manner
- Schedule preventive maintenance
- Manage the purchase of spare parts and tools
- Manage indirect budgets as well as janitorial and landscape contracts
- Implement cost effective systems of control over capital, operating expenditures, manpower, wages and salaries
- Establish and monitor overall departmental performance for machine downtime
- Control and minimize labor overtime and repair expenses
- Maintain existing plant equipment; replace or make adjustments to plant equipment when necessary
- Provide leadership and training to accomplish the company goals and objectives
- Implement and maintains preventative maintenance programs
- Provides direction, development and leadership to maintenance staff
- Support sister facilities with shared Best Practices
- Facilitate, lead and train others in the use of the following tools: Fast response, 5S, SPC, DFMEA, PFMEA, TPM ( total preventive Maintenance),
- Relentless root cause analysis, Visual Controls, Process layered audits, Etc
- Provide clear direction, motivation and specific performance objectives to all assigned personal
- Responsible for training and cross-training all maintenance associates
- 10+ years of experience in a manufacturing environment
- Proven hands on experience using 5-S, Kaizen, TPM, SMED and other lean manufacturing tools
- Proven experience as a maintenance craftsman, maintenance supervisor, or maintenance engineer
- Mechanical aptitude; able to understand machinery, decipher blueprints, basic metallurgy
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to motivate, coach, train and mentor others
- Possess the ability to lead by example through following plant elements of culture, ethics and integrity, eagerness, and effectiveness
- Strong working knowledge of budgets and financial statements
- Background with manufacturing methods, process improvement programs and procedures
- Extensive experience in successful process improvement and project management through the application of Lean, Six Sigma & Design Excellence methodologies
- Must be able to schedule and accomplish desired results in an effective and timely manner
- Maintains safe, secure, and healthy work environment by establishing, following, and enforcing safe procedures; complying with legal regulations
- Must have the ability to listen and communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
- Working knowledge of lean principles and methods
- Strong training and facilitation abilities
- Advanced computer skills: Microsoft Office Applications
- Excellent time management
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to demonstrate a proven track record for establishing a cohesive Manufacturing Team within a high growth environment
- Detailed-oriented with good organization skills
- Self- motivator and driven by the desire to succeed
- Experience in training and coaching a World Class workforce
- Proven history of developing talent
- A bachelor’s degree in a related engineering field
- Lean Certifications
- Formal training in Lean/Six Sigma tools
- MBA with manufacturing operational focus
Decision Making Requirements
- Risk/reward decisions concerning machine reliability
- Scheduling of machinery inspections and repairs, as well as parts and personnel required
- Evaluation of new applicants and new employees
- Appraise and evaluate the work performance of maintenance staff
- Make decisions on the necessity and quantity of spare parts
- Make evaluations on whether to make or buy certain equipment parts
- Evaluate competitive bids on parts and equipment
General Expectations (Directions)
- Work with all members of the management team
- Be the driving force to ensure the success of all maintenance projects/events
- Work with all levels of the organization
- Direction given to maintenance staff concerning personnel and work/equipment related issues
- Direction given to maintenance technicians/craftsman in daily activities
- Determine and communicate job priorities based on operational needs
Relocation assistance “is not” offered with this position.
Employees are expected to serve as role models for safe work practices and behaviors. This includes following established health and safety policies and procedures, maintaining a clean, organized work area, wearing, and properly storing all personal protective equipment (PPE), and actively engaging as a safety conscious worker with personal safety and wellness as a priority.
If you’d like to be part of an energetic, world leader in optic fiber solutions, please click the button below to begin the resume submission process. Submissions must include salary information.
Note: Only those candidates selected for the interview process will be contacted.
OFS, a Georgia based global company, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.