OFS has one of the longest and most respectable corporate lineages in American business, which goes back to Alexander Graham Bell and the invention of the telephone more than a century ago. We have a proven track record of being first in the industry with application specific fibers, optical connectors, ribbon cables, erbium doped fibers, Raman fiber lasers, fiber gratings and more. Our mission is to provide leading optical innovations and solutions by designing, manufacturing and supplying the best optical fibers, fiber cable and components and devices for our customers, with exceptional service that creates value for our shareholders, customers and employees. To do so, we must continue shaping the future of communications by applying the best minds to the challenges our customers will continually face.
About the Job
We currently seek a Manufacturing Engineer to join our division located in Avon, CT, and help support our continued business growth.
The selected candidate’s primary responsibility is to support ongoing efforts to expand and improve manufacturing capacities and capabilities within assigned areas of Assembly Manufacturing and Engineering departments.
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Working with Development Engineers, support and lead efforts to transition (ramp up) new and existing products and product lines into volume manufacturing to meet customer expectations:
- Lead focused efforts in cost reduction through development and improvement of labor standards
- Develop capacity plans and roadmaps. (labor, equipment, materials)
- Define manufacturing floor layouts, expansion footprints, and lead efforts to optimize and reduce required floor space incorporating Lean Manufacturing principles
- Identify opportunities for and implement Lean Manufacturing and Quality Initiatives such as SPC, 5S, and QC Circle activities within the assembly department
- Develop manufacturing process maps, flowcharts, and perform process analysis and process capability studies to improve processes
- Perform time studies to identify cost baselines, bottlenecks, and ultimately increase throughput
- Reduce manufacturing costs and lead times through efficiency improvement, cycle-time reduction, scrap reduction, waste reduction, etc.
- Working cross functionally with overall OFS organization, identify equipment needs and research and procure new equipment for manufacturing areas as needed.
- Review and author ISO manufacturing procedures and/or work instructions; develop process maps and flowcharts
- Perform Value Stream Mapping (VSM) and analysis – make proposals for and implement Cost, Quality, and Cycle time improvements
- Propose and implement Lean Manufacturing methods in the manufacturing areas: e.g. 5S, Kanban, One-Piece-Flow, etc.
- Propose and review manufacturing process changes where required.
- Perform and lead process data analysis including histograms, Pareto analysis, design of experiments, SPC, and Process Capability studies. (Lead implementation of SPC plans for internal processes as needed.)
- Perform process audits
- Project leadership. Planning in terms of required resources, time and budget estimation. Act as team leader to facilitate project success
- Develop process parameters using experimentation and sound engineering analysis. Meet customer expectations in a very dynamic environment, while keeping on track in terms of time and cost targets
- May be asked to direct technologists and technicians to support engineering programs
- May be asked to take on the duties of internal quality auditor and /or an element owner in support of the overall organization’s Quality System
- Respond to requests for corrective and preventive action (CPARs). Perform root cause analysis of problems, implement corrective actions, implement preventive actions
- Perform other related duties as required by management
Key qualifications include:
- Minimum of a Bachelors degree in Mechanical, Industrial, or Manufacturing Engineering
- At least 5 years experience in a similar technical position in a manufacturing environment. Background in Aerospace and/or Medical Quality requirements are a definite plus
- Solid working knowledge of Lean Manufacturing (a.k.a. Toyota Production System, Kaizen) or Six Sigma methodologies
- Quality systems knowledge (minimum of ISO 9001)
- Knowledge of statistical methodologies including SPC and Design of Experiments (DOE)
- Working knowledge of fiber optics and related applications
- Optical fiber process experience (i.e. precision glass polishing) a plus
Working at OFS means having the opportunity to realize ideas, experience innovation and discover new solutions for the future. In addition to our dynamic work environment, we offer competitive salaries and generous benefits programs, including medical, dental, tuition reimbursement and a matching 401(k) plan.
If you’d like to be part of an energetic, world leader in optic fiber solutions, please submit your resume (including salary information) by clicking on the button below to begin the self-identification process.
Note: Only those candidates selected for the interview process will be contacted.
OFS Fitel, LLC, a Georgia based global company, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org