Optical fiber shape sensing is a form of distributed sensing that uses scattered signals from a multi-core fiber to determine curvature and twist rate to produce the shape of a given structure.
Twisted Multicore Fiber with Continuous Gratings
OFS has developed a technology platform to produce high quality, twisted multi-core optical fiber with continuous FBGs (Fiber Bragg Gratings) to meet critical 3D shape sensing specifications. Our expertise in specialty glass preform design makes it possible to incorporate a wide range of optimized features such as multiple cores, selected cutoff, specific numerical aperture, and core to core spacing.
- Customizable high quality Fiber Bragg Gratings provide exceptional signal-to-noise ratio
- Precisely positioned Fiber Bragg Gratings provide stable signal throughout the fiber
- Absence of stripping and recoating provides high fiber integrity and strength
- Click to learn more: why is the Fiber Twisted?
Learn More About OFS Shape Sensing Technology
- White Paper: Multicore Optical Fiber Grating Arrays for Sensing Applications
- White Paper: Distributed Sensing Over Meter Lengths Using Twisted Multicore Optical Fiber With Continuous Bragg Gratings
- White Paper: Big data on the horizon from a new generation of distributed optical fiber sensors
- Shape Sensing Fiber Solutions – Data Sheet